Friday, July 2, 2010

The Siren Song of Shalimar

I think everyone knows by now that I absolutely ADORE Indian food! So when Tom suggested last week that we should enjoy a dinner at Shalimar, where we'd had dinner on our first date, I happily agreed. Deciding where to eat is often very easy; deciding what to eat ... well, that's where the brain paralysis comes in.

And considering the depth of Shalimar's menu, it's a good thing that Tom had an idea of what he wanted. He loves naan -- loves all breads! -- so ordering the Assorted Bread Basket made life simpler. This came with a plain naan, a naan stuffed with garlic and herbs, and a bread stuffed with sauteed onions which was far and away the best one in a stellar selection ... quite the compliment! There was also a naan with onion and mint which was fragrant and delicious, without a heavy mintiness that would have been prohibitive. Man actually could live on bread alone, if these were the breads!

But there were entrees to be relished, from their alluring aromas to their captivating colors to their fabulous flavors.

Tom had eaten a chicken and spinach dish in the past, and we had tried to order that very one when we first ate there together in December. We'd picked the wrong dish back then, though what we ate was delicious! But this night we got the right one -- Murgh Saagwala: "boneless chicken cooked with fresh Spinach, herbs and spices" -- and it truly was extraordinary. The chicken was unbelievably, lusciously tender; the spinach was perfectly spiced; the dish was moist without being soggy. It was exceptional even beyond my admitted ability to enthuse and effuse!

But wait -- there's more. Being good eaters and feeling celebratory after getting back together again after our 6-week break, we indulged ourselves and also ordered the Dumm Aloo -- "whole baby potatoes cooked with yogurt, tomato, fennel seeds, ginger, garlic and spices." The potatoes were cooked to just the right moment of being tender throughout while retaining their shape and not becoming mushy. The sauce was rich, a warm and gorgeous and seductive color, and exceptionally balanced with none of the spices or flavors overpowering any of the others. This made an unbelievably delicious dinner, as well as an exceptional lunch when Tom surprised me at work the next day by bringing me some with rice and naan ... just one of many reasons that I love him ... :)

Here's to many more divine meals at Shalimar! There's a vast menu awaiting us ....


Shalimar on Urbanspoon

27 comments:

The mad woman behind the blog said...

You are killing me! Please, please, please find a way to make my husband like indian food! This looks SO delicious!

Team Chastain said...

Indian cuisine is tied for my #1 favorite spot with Mediterranean food. They're both amazingly delicious and an event to eat. Thanks for sharing this...looks lovely!

Christina said...

'Am a proud Indian and loves our Khanna just as much, happy to know someone who shares the same heart for our food:). Am not much of naan person though, i prefer parathas and yup the dinner spread does look yummy. Glad you got to enjoy a great indian meal. Btw dumm aloo is quite an easy dish to dig out when all else fail you to the forever maddening question "what do i make for dinner today??":) Happy Friday!!

Rachel (Diary of a Recovering Chocoholic) said...

Sounds delish! I've only had Indian a few times- once in London and once in South Carolina but what I had I enjoyed. Thanks for the brownie recipe!

tracy said...

Yum - Love Indian cuisine. Found your blog through the Treehouse. Love it(but I do LOVE sushi..is that okay?)
Tracy

Laurie {Simply Scratch} said...

yum!

Cranberry Morning said...

That sounds delicious. The last time I was at an Indian restaurant it was FANTASTIC - and in Cirencester, England. No Indian restaurants within 2 hours of here. :-( But that does make it more of a treat. I suppose that's the way one should look at it. :-)

Ott, A. said...

I have never had Indian food before. But your pictures make me think I should give it a try.

Unknown said...

I'm with Tom, I LOVE bread..and naan has a special place in my heart for sure! Chris isn't big on Indian food, but when I can get it... yum! Your meal looks so yummy and you made it sound even better!!!

Apron Senorita said...

What time is supper? Looks delicous.

Hi, I’m Yoli from Apron Senorita. I come through Follow Friday 40 and Over. It’s so nice to meet you and I wish you a happy July 4th holiday.

Yoli
http://apronsenorita.blogspot.com/

Aleksandra Nearing said...

Hi! I'm following you from Friendly Friday! I host reviews/giveaways and blog about life/family/gardening/recipes at:

www.busyworkingmama.com

TGIF!

Yenta Mary said...

At work (shhhh!), so have to do this quickly and efficiently:

1. I think anyone who claims not to like Indian food has either had something too spicy or something poorly prepared or something too exotic. I would start with something simple like potatoes with a bit of mild curry powder, and see if the resistance can be overcome slowly.

2. Mediterranean is another one of my favorites!!! I cook Moroccan all the time ... :)

3. I can't imagine not having an Indian restaurant -- Ann Arbor has 5 that I can think of without even bursting a blood vessel, not to mention several Indian markets. I would not survive without them!!!

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

I haven't had much Indian food. this all looks great!

Beth Zimmerman said...

Wow! I'm not sure I've ever had Indian food. Pretty sure not! But that bread sounds divine! (Hi! I'm Beth and I'm a Carbohydrate Addict!) Wonder if there is any Indian food in Tulsa?

I can't believe how many Friday Follows you managed to find and fit into one post! LOL! :) May you be blessed with abundant followers!

Robin said...

Wait... did I miss the getting back together post? Or did it not get written because it wasn't food-related? Or is my brain completely zapped? Help!!! I really like the getting back together story. It is so much better than the "let's take a break that might last forever" story. So, did you write it and I miss it? If so, please point me in the right direction....

The Rantings of a Drama Queen's Mum said...

Hi. Thanks for following me. I'm following you now. I was just checking out your blog.

Just Trying To Save Money said...

Have a great holiday weekend, I am a new follower!

www.justtryingtosavemoney.com

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

I wish I could interest my husband but my son's palate is becoming more diverse so maybe. In the meantime...I was honored to have received an award and am passing one on to you. Details here: http://answerischocolate.blogspot.com/2010/07/im-overhwhelmed.html

Kristin said...

That looks yummy! Stopping by from The Girl Creative Friday friend thingy. :)

Anonymous said...

Yum, your recipes look so good.
Thank-you for the follow.
I am following you too.
Have a wonderful weekend.
http://www.lisasglutenfree.com
http://misc-oceansky.blogspot.com

Denise said...

I've never eaten at an Indian restaurant. We went to an Indian wedding for friends & had some really delicious food, but it was all vegetarian. LOVE your pictures and descriptions!

Thanks for following my blog, I'm following you back.

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Oh I heart indian food. I really really heart indian food. Most of the time I have no idea what I'm ordering but I love every single dish. My kids like it too. Weird. :)

Have a great 4th of July.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Holly Lefevre said...

We never go to Indian Food - probably because where we currently live there is not any good Indian food restaurants. The Dumm Aloo makes my mouth water!

Mrs4444 said...

You may be shocked to know that I don't think I've ever had Indian food. I'm pretty sure Green Bay doesn't have any such restaurants. I'll have to taste vicariously :)

Holy cow! I had no idea there were so many Friday memes! You are smart to link up to so many. Wow! Thanks so much for posting my button! :)

Kristin - The Goat said...

I'm one of those that isn't a fan of indian food -but I've found one or two things that I can enjoy while others ooh and ahhh over the choices. That bread looks divine though - yummm.

Kristin - The Goat
by way of Saturday Sampling

Keri said...

Hey. What a gorgeous meal. You're looking wonderful here. Have a happy long weekend. Burp!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

looks like you had an incredible meal at Shalimar!! What a great variety of Indian food!
thanks for sharing
Dennis


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?