Friday, October 8, 2010

The Peanut Butter Battle

My good friend and fellow blogger, Angela -- the charming hostess of Foodie Road Show -- commented on my recent rant about greasy, goopy natural peanut butters by telling me that her town of Boulder, Colorado, actually produces a very fine product: Justin's.

They make 4 varieties of almond butter (chocolate, honey, maple and classic), 3 varieties of peanut butter (chocolate, honey and classic), and chocolate hazelnut butter ... oh, my! I had mentioned in my rant that the only natural peanut butter that I consider to be edible is Koeze's, made in Michigan's own Grand Rapids. It was good to know -- and from a most trusted source -- that there might be other options.

Well ... that had all the makings of a peanut butter battle, didn't it??? I emailed Angela and proposed our own little mini Foodie Exchange: a jar of Koeze's for a jar of Justin's, to which she happily agreed. This was less for the sake of competition and more for the sake of being a couple of happy gourmandes who would try almost anything once, so why not try something as luscious as a new brand of peanut butter???

Jeremy was so excited when our box from Angela came that he called me at work; I could hardly wait to get home to try it. Of course, it arrived on a day when I got out of work late, rushed around, then had to leave for the evening. But in addition to a large jar of the chocolate hazelnut butter, Angela had also sent totable packets of honey, maple and chocolate peanut butters which I brought to Tom's. He is a devoted worshiper of peanut butter, so he was thrilled to receive tastes of these treats.

We immediately opened the chocolate peanut butter, which was unbelievably rich and creamy and chocolatey; it had hints of Nutella which, as we all know, is one of the most perfect foods in the universe. Tom thought it would be wonderful drizzled over apples, with classic peanut butter tossed into that mix as well. Personally, I thought it was a thing of supreme beauty just eaten off a fingertip.

Then Jeremy told me that the mom of one of his good friends is having a surgical procedure done today, so I plan to make a dinner to send over to the house. And, of course, cookies are supreme comfort food in times of stress, right??? So why not make a batch to send along with the meal? And, given that I had a new ingredient to play with, why not incorporate it into the batter?

So I took my basic peanut butter cookie recipe, but used only half the traditional peanut butter; the other half was Justin's chocolate hazelnut spread. I threw in some chocolate chips simply because they can do no wrong, especially in a chocolate cookie. Et, voila!

I still love my Koeze's peanut butter dearly, and would never forsake it. But I do have to admit that Justin's is an amazing product! Frankly, it's so good that I wrote to Angela and said that Tom and I might just fall out of love with each other and in love with the chocolate peanut butter. Well, not quite! But ....

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup Koeze's smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup Justin's chocolate hazelnut butter
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a baking sheet.

In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar and brown sugar. Mix in egg, peanut butter, chocolate hazelnut butter, baking soda, salt and vanilla. Stir in flour and chocolate chips.

Form 1" balls of dough and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes until cookies are just set. Let cool on a rack.

Makes 3 dozen cookies.

Photobucket

Let's Just Give It Away










Smart and Trendy Moms




Sunday Strolling Blog Hop



15 comments:

Candace said...

Hi Mary!

I just don't think you can beat the Peanut Butter and Chocolate combo! I've got some catching up to do around here. I've missed popping in to see you. Hope you have a wonderful weekend! Candace

Tin said...

I am a new follower to your blog, what an amazing recipe, I will have to try it out on my family. We adore anything made with any kind of peanut butter. I found you on Follow 40 and Over. Would love to have you follow me back. My blog is http://shigandtin.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

What can you say to chocolate peanut butter cookies other then...get in my belly!!!! :) I'm definitely going to have to find some Justin's...yum!!

Anonymous said...

Looks so delicious!
I am your newest follower from the Friday Blog Hop. Hope you can stop by and follow back!
Big Foot Tribe
http://www.bigfoottribe.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I think it's worth getting a surgical procedure to get these chocolate peanut butter cookies, they look sooooo good. I must check out the Foodie Road Show. Thanks for the heads up.

Elizabeth said...

There is almost no better combination then chocolate and peanut butter!

I'm your newest follower from Friendly Friday! You can find me at

http://bethscoupondeals.blogspot.com/

Hope you stop by- I've got some great giveaway- one ending tonight!

KristinMarieCA said...

Those cookies look incredible!

I am following from the one of the blog hops! Would love for you to stop by and say hello some time :) Be sure to check out my Giveaway for an EcoMom giftcard! Have a wonderful weekend!

Kristin
Born 2 Be Mom

Jessica ♥ said...

Hello, I'm now following you from Following Friday! You can find me at:

http://summermumble.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

That looks like a great product! I sometimes use natural peanut butter because it's difficult to find pasteurized unsweetened peanut butter. I just don't like keeping it in the fridge!

Angela said...

Oh, Mary....those cookies!!! I will be making these, stat--and so far I have had the Koeze's drizzled over apples and on a sliced banana. Now I will have to dream up some kind of awesome cookie! Stay tuned for the peanut butter battle...

Mama said...

Those cookies look yummy! Not a bad surprise for someone after surgery!

Thanks for linking up on Following Friday! I hope you are meeting some great new bloggers and following them! Have a great weekend!

~ Busy Buzzer
Buzzing the Day Away

Welcome To My Kitchen said...

Im a new follower through follow friday come visit my kitchen. Im looking for moms to submit there favorite recipe and pics to be featured on my blog. If interested contact me. Nice to meet you!!

Alicia said...

I came from the Sunday blog hop. I LOVE your definition of a food floozie! Hilarious!

The Sisters' Hood said...

Here from the Hop ... hope that you are having a Fab Fall Weekend. Down in FL, we are trying our very best to make it seems a little like Fall, trying :) Your photos are fab, and whats not to love about peanut butter!
We love cooking over at our house, one of my husbands most endearing qualities in fact - lol!
Please make a note that Wednesday Wishlist is my blog hop on you guessed it, Wednesday - for The Twelve Weeks of Christmas with a fab bling piece giveaway - don't miss, make a note and you just have to sign up!

Abby said...

Chocolate peanut butter?! I have GOT to try that. What an awesome product and recipe!


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?