Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Burger, By Any Other Name ....


Jeremy stopped by one night last week, before the impending doom that was supposed to be our 15" snowfall (we got half that, which only closed schools for one day ... pfffft!). I had picked up some groceries for him on my way home from work, to make sure he and his dad had enough to sustain them through the threatened apocalypse, and he stayed long enough to share a quick dinner with me.

And when I say "quick," I really mean it; we were both rushing around from errands and with evening plans to get to. So I whipped out some Morningstar Farms vegetarian burger patties, and used a few convenience items to turn a plain ol' slab of some sort of vegetable protein into a meal that Jeremy raved about ... :)

A whole wheat English muffin, a little lettuce, a bit of shredded cheese, some mashed avocado (I didn't even manage to turn it into guacamole with any seasonings or additions), and some fresh salsa on top ... and there it was -- dinner! This is hardly a novel concept, and it certainly doesn't warrant being called a recipe.

But it does show that even in a kosher kitchen (and a vegetarian one at that) with little time at my disposal, I was able to put together a fast, delicious and nutritious meal. No need whatsoever to stop by and get one of those $5 Little Caesar's pizzas or whiz through a drive-thru window to appease a ravenous 20-year-old male! As long as it's a burger (beef, turkey, or vegetarian) -- and this one was exceptionally good, too! -- it will pass muster and be devoured ....

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow..you know when you can impress your carnivorous son with a veggie patty that you are doing some amazing things in the kitchen!!! I love it..and honestly, dressed up nicely like that, they aren't bad at all! Nicely done :)

Cranberry Morning said...

Sounds delicious! I love the addition of avocado, YUM.

Unknown said...

the English muffin is a great idea!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Oh that avocado looks divine!! Thanks for this post Mary. I have a hard time with my own lunches, I don't want to cook & make a mess for 1 person - this type of thing makes me remember that there IS some good convenience foods out there! And with a burger that looks this good, why would you want to go thru the drive thru?? Nice work!

Candace said...

What a beautiful burger! We do the avocado smash often on our sandwiches/burgers. It's soooooo good. :)

Beth Zimmerman said...

That looks like a really good burger ... though I admit I would want the beef variety!

How are YOU doing? Been thinking about you even if I haven't made it by here as often as I should!

I LOVE your new header and grabbed a copy of your cute new button! Thanks! :)

Miriam said...

I SO agree!!! Burgers are always an old standby at our house. This one is beautiful :). Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Keri said...

Don't make me hate you for being one of those skinny broads who can eat anything, any time and never gain an ounce.

I'm going to pretend you have a weight problem and go on loving you, k?


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?