Monday, September 24, 2012

Beer 'n' Cheese Soup with Croutons


It got cold here in Michigan. Fall is coming. The days are beautiful and sunny; the nights are chilly, dipping down 'round 40 degrees. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm cold all the time anyway. Others vie to be the first to turn on the air conditioner in the spring; I'm the girl who beats 'em all to turning on the heat at the end of summer.

So one day, I was in the mood for soup - something warm and comforting. I'd gotten home late after work and an evening of running errands, so I relied upon convenience items to expedite my dinner. And in just about 5 minutes I found myself with a hot bowl of thick, rich, luscious cheese soup - a perfect way to end a long day, and to combat the chill in the air.

Beer 'n' Cheese Soup with Croutons

  • 1 10-3/4 ounce can Campbell's Cheddar Cheese soup
  • beer
  • 2 ounces medium sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
  • pinch of freshly ground black pepper
  • garlic croutons

Place soup into a small saucepan. Pour beer into the empty soup can - fill it halfway, then pour the measured beer into the saucepan. Heat soup and beer over medium heat, whisking until smooth.

Add the cheeses and pepper; whisk until smooth, and cook just until soup bubbles. Pour into two soup bowls and top with croutons.

Serves 2.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait for it to start cooling down here so that I can finally start enjoying soups again! And I LOVE beer cheese soup.. it's thick, hearty and oh, so comforting!!!

Cranberry Morning said...

Doesn't that look delicious! Perfect for this time of year when I'm wanting a thicker, heartier bowl of soup. Thirty-three degrees here this morning. Definitely soup season!

Debra Hawkins said...

I am so excited that it is soup season! I have missed the cool weather and the sweatshirts! I am not sure I am going to love full on yucky weather season though. :) I love fall!

Candace said...

We are having the same kind of weather here! I love the warm days and cold snuggling kind of nights. Beer and Cheese and Soup just go together. What a great idea to make this with convenience foods! I don't have a lot of time to cook these days and this would be perfect for the two of us. Thanks, Mary!!

Karen Harris said...

My dad was the master of "doctoring" stuff up. He would love this soup. It looks so good. I can't wait to give it a try.

Mary Sullivan Frasier said...

Mmmm, mmmm Mary! Our weather has been just right for a big warm bowl of soul comforting soup. I've had an icky old end of summer cold that just wont let go and this cheesey, creamy elixer is just what the doctor ordered! XOXO

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

Yummy.....soup time.It's finally cooling down a bit so I have been thinking soup as well. This week I am actually doing a soup party on my facebook....collecting delicious soup recipes for the winter :-)

Chris said...

Beer cheese soup is my #1 all time favorite soup ever. I have made several versions of it and this is my favorite (http://www.nibblemethis.com/2009/01/european-street-style-beer-cheese-soup.html) but yours just went on my TRY SOON list just because....5 minutes! Awesome!


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?