Monday, December 10, 2012

Loaded Baked Potato Latkes


"These are the best latkes ever!"

Jeremy has spoken. You should listen.

These combine all the crispiness of fried potatoes with all the goodness of a loaded baked potato that's been cut open and filled with cheese, green onions, bacon, and sour cream. These are a very good time.

You'll notice that I didn't use real bacon - you may substitute this fine ingredient, if you'd like to. When I prepare Jewish food for posts, I always respect the dietary laws that forbid combining meat and dairy products and also ban anything having to do with pig. But really, truly, even with fake bacon, these were exceptional.

Chanukkah is a minor holiday that began this past Saturday at sundown, but it's a festive and fattening party which celebrates the miracle of one day's worth of consecrated oil having lasted eight days. The Eastern European (Ashkenazic) tradition is to eat latkes, the Israeli one offers sufganiyot [soof-GAHN-yoht] - jelly doughnuts.

Fried foods reign supreme! Especially these latkes ....


If you'd like to try other celebratory foods during Chanukkah, here are some options:

Spiced Beef Egg Rolls

Doughnut Delights

Provolone Fritto con Marinara

Curried Potato Latkes

Reuben Latkes



Loaded Baked Potato Latkes

  • 4 cups hash browns, defrosted
  • 2 tablespoons matzah meal
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 4 pieces Morningstar Farms Bacon Strips, chopped
  • 2/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 4 scallions, chopped fine
  • oil, for frying
  • sour cream, for serving

In a large mixing bowl, combine hash browns, matzah meal, egg, and water; let rest for 5 minutes.  Stir in bacon strips, cheese, and scallions.

Pour oil into a large skillet to 1/4" depth; heat over medium heat.  Take 1/4 cupfuls of latke batter, and fry for 5 minutes per side until golden; drain on paper towels.  Continue frying until batter is used up, stove and countertops are greasy, and your entire house smells of cooking oil ... ah, the traditions of Chanukkah!

Serve immediately, with sour cream.

Makes 10 latkes.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You are a genius!!! Thanks to you, I made my first latkes last year... now thanks to you, I'll be making a new version very, very soon!! YUM!!!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Yeah these look good!! Totally delicious. I love a fried potato in any form :) Yum yum yum, even with fake bacon LOL

Nicole said...

I LOVE a good latke! Happy Hannukah, my friend!

Debra Hawkins said...

Oh my I love Latkes! I think this is going to be a must make recipe. Maybe I will introduce them to my husband!

Chris said...

This sounds great, even with fake bacon.

Candace said...

These are best latkes ever, Mary! Yum!

Cranberry Morning said...

Oh my goodness! I would love to eat jelly donuts OR those crispy latkes or both! Happy Hannukah to you! I wonder if I could make them that crispy. LOVE crispy.


Ghosts of Postings Past and Present

Looking for Something ...?